Friday, June 18, 2010

A Welsh Jewel: Cardiff Castle



Mae'n ddrwg gen i!  One has taken quite the break from blogging.  After a 3 month holiday, I will attempt to post more often.  Thanks go to my new colleague (with the lovely double-barrel Anglo surname) for urging me to post regularly.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to share some photos from my trip to Cardiff last year.  Although my stay was quite brief, I had a great time among the Welsh.  Set in the middle of this lively city is Cardiff Castle. (Castell Caerdydd in Welsh)  Spanning two millennia of development from Roman times to a fantastical building programme in the 19th century, the castle is not to be missed when in Cardiff.  Luckily, an online mate works at the castle and gave me an amazing behind the scenes tour!  Pictured above is the clock tower exhibiting some amazing (and bit over the top) heraldry and figures.



The Gothic fantasy castle most recognized today was built by the Bute family during the Victorian era.  The Third Marquess of Bute, a coal exporter, was reportedly the richest man in the world in the 1860s.

 

The ancient keep overlooks the much younger castle and offers splendid views across the city centre.


Fans of the television series Torchwood may recognise this view.  A nighttime scene with Capt. Jack Harkness (played by the dashing Scot-American John Barrowman) was filmed at the top of the keep.


I've so many brilliant photos of this place I've decided to divide this blog post into a series.  So watch in the coming days for more fascinating images from Cardiff Castle!
Da boch chi.

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures, I always wanted to visit that area.... The castle looks like it belonged to the the richest man at the time! Maryanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cardiff is a lot of fun with a lovely compact city centre with dining, shopping and great architecture! The surrounding countryside is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally off-topic, but -- did you know that John Barrowman is on Desperate Housewives now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Barrowman is NEVER off-topic. I had no clue he was on DH now!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails